Shark deterrent devices for Whitsunday Escape fleet
In an industry first, Whitsunday Escape has purchased shark deterrent devices for our entire fleet of bareboats.
Ocean Guardian’s FREEDOM7 Shark Shield technology has been included as standard equipment on every boat. We provide one per boat and the device can be worn by one person giving a 4 metre by 6 metre protection zone for anyone within that area.
Shark Shield technology is the world’s only scientifically proven and independently tested electrical shark deterrent. The FREEDOM7 devices are expected to be available by 22 November 2018.
How Shark Shield technology works
Sharks have short-range electrical receptors in their snouts used for finding food. The device creates a powerful three-dimensional electrical field which causes safe but unbearable spasms in these sensitive receptors, turning sharks away.
The electrical field is created by a trailing antenna attached to a power module comfortably worn on the ankle.
It’s tough. Durable. And proven to be effective.
- It covers an area of 4m deep and 6m wide.
- Snorkellers can wear it for an extra level of safety.
- It can also be used off the back of the boat to create a safer swimming area.
- Ocean Guardian’s Freedom7 technology is WA government approved.
- Shark Shield technology can only repel sharks and stingrays. It does not affect or repel other marine life such as fish, dolphins, whales, or turtles.
- Used by the US & Australian Navies.