Become a Whitsunday Escape Reef Guardian Angel
Visiting the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park is a major highlight of a bareboating holiday in the Whitsundays. With your free snorkelling gear you can get down below the surface and explore the beautiful reef structures that surround all the islands. With some of the best reef in the world right here, it’s easy to fall in love. We hope that visitors to the reef will see how important it is to conserve the reef for future generations.
It’s easy to become a Whitsunday Escape Reef Guardian Angel, and we’d love to see your pictures on Facebook! Here’s what we want you to do…
- Make a sand angel
- Help keep the reef clean – use an eco bag to collect any marine debris you come across
- Report a wildlife sighting to GBRMPA
- Take a pic of your crew safely enjoying the beautiful marine park on your bareboat
- Post photos of these to our Facebook page and let us know when you return from charter! There might be a little something in it for you.
They say knowledge is power, and when it comes to saving and protecting the Great Barrier Reef this couldn’t be more true. Of course the scientists can’t be everywhere so this is where we enlist you to help.
Since you will be out there exploring the reef and islands in detail, there are some easy things you can do to help monitor the health of the reef and report your findings to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority:
- Download the free ‘Eye on the Reef’ app for iphone or android, ideal for quick reporting with no scientific training needed
- Complete a more technical, in depth Rapid Monitoring Survey, ideal for those with an interest in marine biology
Have a wonderful time exploring the Whitsunday islands on your bareboat charter holiday!