The Great Barrier Reef more than just fish and coral
More than just fish and coral
The Great Barrier Reef is home to a stunning array of animals, from microscopic plankton to whales weighing more than 100 tonnes. More than just fish and coral, the Reef supports:
- 1625 species of fish, including 1400 coral reef species
- More than 3000 species of molluscs (shells)
- 630 species of echinoderm (starfish, sea urchins)
- 14 breeding species of sea snakes
- 215 species of birds including 22 species of seabirds and 32 species of shorebirds
- Six of the world’s seven species of marine turtle
- 30 species of whales and dolphins
- One of the world’s most important dugong populations
- 133 species of sharks and rays
- ….and much more
The most unique and rewarding way to experience the Great Barrier Reef is by bareboat!
Hire a fully self –contained boat and sail it yourself. You don’t need a boat licence or sailing qualification to hire a bareboat, just a little experience. You get to explore this natural eco wonder at your own pace.
Whitsunday Escape are very proud to have our ECO Certification. The program is facilitated by Ecotourism Australia. We pride ourselves on offering a high-quality nature-based tourism experience, and are backed by well managed commitment to sustainable, environmental practices.
Want to hire a boat for your perfect next holiday?
Our reservations team are locals and live and breath The Whitsundays!
We can help you choose the right boat for your holiday, let you know what to do before you get here and give the locals guide on what to do when you are here.